Llwydiarth, situated on the B4395 between Llangadfan and Llanfyllin, has two names – Pontllogel is the other. It is believed that Llwydiarth is the older name, Pontllogel being added after the bridge was built – ‘Pocket Bridge’ in translation.
The village’s Llwydiarth estate came into the Watkin Williams Wynn family when long ago a Wynn married a daughter of the Vaughan’s of Llwydiarth, a family descended from Aleth Hen, King of Dyfed.
During the shooting season the Wynn’s lived at Llwydiarth Park, a house of the early 1880s. The wall surrounding the estate’s 700 acres consisted of large stones, some from an ancient cairn. The estate had electricity in the First World War, supplied by a water wheel, which was also used for sawing the timber in which the estate was rich. There was an estate railway for moving the timber.
In 1946 the Forestry Commission bought the estate and it became Dyfnant Forest, with employment for many. The house became the local office and flats for the workers and was sold again in 1986 to a local family. The forest covers over 6,000 acres, with 40 mile of forest roads popular for car rallies – and forest walks.
St Marys Church was built in 1883 by the then Sir Watkin, the architect being Benjamin Ferry. Its exceptionally steep roof and commanding position make it immediately visible when approaching the village.
Erected in 1925 the village hall stands on land given by the Sir Watkin of the time. He also provided most of the timber and opened the first fund raising effort, a sale of work which raised £100. Villagers had met several nights a week beforehand preparing goods for the sale. The day after the Second World War broke out, WI and WRVS members were in the hall to feed evacuees from Liverpool. Most of these returned home saying they would rather risk bombs than stay in such a far away place!
There are two caravan parks and several holidays homes, a petrol station adjoins the shop with post office and a car park.